The Birds are coming off a win against the Detroit Lions that wasn’t as convincing as many hoped it would be. While there were a number of positives to take away from that game, concerns remain about Philadelphia’s defense. Can Jonathan Gannon find a way to hold up against a quarterback who isn’t totally terrible? Kirk Cousins has proved troublesome for the Birds in the past and it’s currently hard to give Philly’s defensive coordinator the benefit of the doubt.
The Vikings are looking to follow up a big win over the Green Bay Packers with another strong effort. Minnesota’s defense limited the damage that Aaron Rodgers could do in Week 1. There could be pressure on the Eagles’ offense to put up a lot of points should Justin Jefferson and Dalvin Cook prove as challenging as they appear.
The winner of this game will be feeling pretty good. They’ll have a 2-0 record and a claim as one of the very best teams in the NFC. The loser might be thinking they’re good but not quite good enough.
Bleeding Green Nation will be covering this game with live updates in the form of highlights, analysis, etc. Make sure to follow along and refresh the page often.
(NOTE: This is NOT a game thread; it’s a live blog that will turn into a game recap. Use BGN’s designated game threads for each quarter to discuss in-game happenings there. The first quarter thread is HERE.)
- The Eagles targeted DeVonta Smith on the very first play, which went for a five-yard reception. Who could’ve guessed the Birds would try to get him a touch early? Jalen Hurts rolled right and found an open Dallas Goedert for a first down. Miles Sanders’ first carry went for 12 yards. Hurts got tackled for no gain to bring up a 3rd-and-9. On third down, Hurts found Kenneth Gainwell short for a catch-and-run to move the chains … but the big play was wiped out by Landon Dickerson illegally being downfield by quite a bit. On 3rd-and-13, Hurts stood in the pocket with good protection and threw a strike to A.J. Brown for a first down. Nice throw! Hurts found Zach Pascal short to convert a 3rd-and-3. Pascal also had a third down conversion in Detroit last week; he’s a factor in those situations. Two plays later, Hurts powered through contact to punch it in for a touchdown. Strong opening drive. Weird sequence on the Eagles’ extra point where they had to redo the extra point because “Vikings attendants” were on the field. How wasn’t that a penalty, then? The Vikings DID then get penalized for being offside … but the Eagles declined the flag instead of trying to go for two points from the 1-yard line. EAGLES 7, VIKINGS 0.
- The Vikings’ first drive was a three-and-out with Darius Slay knocking down a Kirk Cousins pass intended for Justin Jefferson. Jefferson wanted a pass interference call but the refs didn’t give it to him. Slay did quickly grab Jefferson’s hand … but the refs aren’t always going to call that. Nick Sirianni was fired up and ran down to celebrate with the defense after the stop.
- Offensive pass interference on DeVonta turned a 3rd-and-2 into a 3rd-and-12. Hurts was then sacked from behind after holding on to the ball to force a punt. Jalen Reagor drew boos as he lined up to return the Eagles’ first punt … and then drew cheers after he was tackled by Zech McPhearson for a gain of only one yard.
- The Vikings got to 3rd-and-5 and James Bradberry knocked down the third down throw to Irv Smith. Strong start for Jonathan Gannon’s defense.
- The Eagles got called for their fourth offensive penalty on their third drive. It was their third ineligible man downfield with Isaac Seumalo called as the culprit.
- Hurts threw deep to a wide open Quez Watkins, who was freed up with a Vikings safety incorrectly helping out with Goedert instead of staying with the speedy wide receiver. EAGLES 14, VIKINGS 0.
- Jalen Reagor jet sweep on 3rd-and-1 for a 17-yard gain … and boos from the crowd at the Linc. The Vikings drove into the red zone and Haason Reddick, who dropped into coverage against backup tight end Johnny Mundt, allowed a 17-yard reception to set up 1st-and-goal at the 2-yard line. Cousins then hit Irv Smith with a short pass for the score. Reddick in coverage sure feels like a waste. EAGLES 14, VIKINGS 7.
- The Eagles got to 3rd-and-12 and Hurts ran out of bounds short of the marker but they were helped by a Vikings illegal contact penalty for a fresh set of downs. Hurts’ first incompletion came on a play where Goedert was tightly covered and nearly made a catch but Cameron Dantlzer knocked the ball out before the tight end established possession. Just a great defensive play to break up a good throw in a tight window. Hurts’ third down pass was completed short of the sticks to force a punt. Second offensive drive of the night without points.
- T.J. Edwards knocked down a Cousins third down pass over the middle to force another three-and-out.
- Quez Watkins was back to take the opening kickoff.
- A.J. Brown briefly got looked at in the medical tent midway through the second quarter. He didn’t miss any time, though.